How do I get an application?

Contact the District for a free consultation at 707-433-5911 for assistance, and we will make sure  you get the correct application.

What are the District

Air Quality Rules?

Individual Air District rules are listed and  hosted by CARB.  A single searchable PDF document of the complete District Rule set is also available.

What are the State

Air Quality Rules?

The rules, including the District's enabling authority is located in the

California Health and Safety Code section 39000 et seq.

What District rules are in California's SIP?

State Implementation Plan (SIP) information is maintained and hosted by EPA.

Annual smog inspections are not required in the Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Control District, but they are required in the southern part of Sonoma County where the Bay Area Air Quality Management District has jurisdiction.  This is because the Bay Area has more air quality impacts and it needs to take extra measures to maintain air quality standards.  However, regardless of District, the State of California requires any re-registration within the state to another District or any vehicle being registered from out of state to have an initial smog check.  Some exceptions may apply to classic or specialty vehicles, pursuant to DMV.

Persons wishing to receive an exemption letter should email the following information to the District : 

  • Name of registered vehicle owner
  • Phone Number
  • License Plate of registered vehicle
  • Address of vehicle registration
  • Last 4 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Renovation or demolition of structures that contain asbestos requires advance notification to the District and handling by EPA-certified contractors.  Asbestos is considered a toxic pollutant by Federal and State law because it is known to cause or contribute to cancer.  All forms of asbestos are considered toxic and no safe exposure level has been determined for residential areas.  The District FAQ, below, provides specific District information.  CARB provides their asbestos FAQ sheets  and more asbestos information on their web site.  

​​​​The District permits stationary sources in a 2-step permit process.  In the first step, a source applies for Authority to Construct (ATC) permit with temporary operation.  This allows a source to modify existing equipment or construct/install new equipment and to operate for up to 12 months.  Once construction is complete, the District inspects the site and reviews performance for compliance with applicable air quality requirements.  Once compliance is verified, the District will issue the second permit, which is an ongoing Permit to Operate (PTO).  The District has EPA-approved authority and program elements to implement the Federal Title V and Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) air quality permit requirements ("SIP-approved").  This District's review and permitting process is described in District Regulation R1-2-200 - Permit Requirements.  Facilities pay a construction/modification application fee and an annual operation fee, as identified in R1-3-310 - Permit Fee Schedules.     

Application & Payment Options

Due to regulatory requirements and the complexity of these projects, permits cannot be automatically generated online.  New applicants, please call to setup a consultation and to receive application forms.  Existing permit holders, please call to receive your project's fee amount and the link to make electronic payment online.  Please call (707) 433-5911.  Online payment option provided by "GovPayNet" for credit or debit card.  A service charge applies.  

Application & Payment Options

To apply or renew an Open Burn Permit you will need to provide us with information regarding your property and what will be burned.  You may visit our office and do this in person or fill out an online application and pay online.  In-office applicants may receive permits immediately; online applicants may request that an electronic copy be e-mailed to them in addition to receiving a mailed permit by US postal service.

Asbestos Notification

Smog Exemption Letters

The District regulates stationary sources that emit regulated pollutants to the atmosphere.  It does this in part by issuing air quality permits for open burning and for the construction and operation of stationary equipment that emits regulated pollutants.   The California Air Resource Board (CARB) regulates mobile sources including cars, non-road vehicles, and portable equipment via its Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP).  Green House Gas (GHG) is also under the purview of CARB; however, the District provides GHG and other air quality issue expertise for local planning, including California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) comment.  

​Air Quality Construction & Operating Permits

Call Us:   707-433-5911

Location and Hours

Send Us a Message

You may if ​ you construct, modify, operate, or use a stationary or indirect source which may cause, potentially cause, reduce, control or eliminate the emission of air contaminants.

Apply and Pay Online for an Open Burn Permit​.

The District offers secure online payment through "GovPayNet" using your credit or debit card.  A small service charge applies.  New permits should be indicated in the Account # field by entering "NEW".  For assistance please call our front desk at (707) 433-5911. 

​Open Burn Permits are required by state law in California, from the local air district, to dispose of vegetative material outdoors by open burning.  Non-vegetative material may never be burned and barrel burning is prohibited by law.   The District provides open burn permits for prescribed burns (habitat management and fire safety), agriculture (engaging in commerce of crop or livestock) and residential.  Burn permits contain District, State, and Fire Safety regulatory requirements.  It is strictly prohibited to burn without a permit, to burn on a "no-burn" day, or to burn in a manner that creates excessive smoke.  After May 1st, each year, CAL FIRE may require an additional permit from residents in  CAL FIRE jurisdiction.   An introduction to the District's open burning rules are located in R2-2-100 - General Provisions.  The District can provide bi-lingual support material and field assistance, upon request.​

​​​​Permits & Notifications

Does my business need a permit?